Monday, 5 January 2015

The Last Post

Well, here we are in 2015 and the first thing Hamish and I would like to do is wish all our readers and contributors a very happy, peaceful and productive year. Sadly, though, Hamish and I must begin the year by communicating some bad news. We are afraid that, in the course of the holiday period, Martin withdrew his offer to resume editorship of Poetry24.

We have to say right off that we do not blame him at all. We know only too well how keeping the site going can eat into one's time and we know, too, that Martin has many projects and interests, not to mention a beautiful family which he more than deserves the time and leisure to enjoy.  I must be honest about one thing, though: when I first heard the news of Martin's change of heart, I did postpone this announcement for a few days while I considered whether I could keep things going, even for a month or two, while we waited for someone to come forward. Eventually, I decided against this, however; the fact is that I, too, have a couple of projects which I am keen to get on with. Also, I have to take into account the fact that we have already made two appeals and no one has come forward so perhaps it is time for Poetry24 to come to an end.

Martin agrees with us that, for the time being at least, we should leave the site up as an archive of material. Therefore, if you are a contributor and you would like your work taken down, please contact Hamish or I as soon as possible. We we would all of us, Hamish and I and Martin and Clare, like to thank our loyal and very wonderful poets and readers for their support. For myself, I hope that some of you will stay in touch. Again, for the time being, Poetry24  will continue to have a Facebook page, as, indeed, I have myself. It would be good to hear from some of you via one or other of those pages. We wish you all the very best.

Abi and Hamish

9 comments:

  1. thank you both for all the support you have given me a heart felt thanks for all you have given to me and all here

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sad that you are closing but can appreciate the work that goes into the site and the commitment required. Like David I would like to express my thanks for all your support for my work. I only wish you had a few more months left... perhaps then I could offer to help but I made my move to France at the end of September 2014 and know that I cannot make such a commitment at the moment. I am sure the site will be very sorely missed and would love to keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your hard work. I enjoyed this site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for all your efforts Abi and Hamish. It's been an honour to be involved and included in Poetry 24. I will treasure my time here. Many thanks also to Clare and Martin. Please know you've all had a fab high quality publication and I feel so honored to have been included. May 2015 surpass all your dreams and goals. Happy writing and again thanks so very much for including my work in this lovely halls. Best, Mari Maxwell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sorry to hear that you are closing. Thank you Hamish and Abi for all the hardwork and commitment. Thank you for publishing my work, Abi, Hamish, Martin and Clare. Best wishes for 2015 and happy writing. usha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only echo the comments made above. I'm only too aware of the huge amount of work involved in running a site like this, and I'm hugely appreciative of everything you've done. I on;y wish I felt I could step in and help out. but other commitments make this impossible. Thanks for publishing some of my work and all the best with whatever you do from here. all the best, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks and respect to Hamish and Abi for taking this on for the last two years, and to all the contributors who have made Poetry24 such a thought-provoking site. Keep writing! Keep provoking!
    Clare K xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww bugger. I have only just seen this. I came on as it's the Thatcher anniversary today, and I remember how moved I was that you published my poem Dear Margaret on the day of her funeral. So sad to know Poetry24 won't carry on anymore.

    Thank you so much for all the poems you published for me - I thought this was one of the greatest sites and thoroughly enjoyed being a part of it.

    Best wishes to all of you for your dedication and hard graft.

    Take care

    Laura

    ReplyDelete