Sunday, 21 September 2014

Sunday Review

Well, David and I are just back from a very pleasant week away in the Quantocks where everything was lovely except the fact that the internet was impossibly slow. This made it harder than anticipated to get any work done.  Anyway, my thanks are due to Hamish for holding the fort in my absence.
Authors, please accept my apologies, too, if my review this week errs on the side of brevity. I have a reading to prepare for tomorrow and another for lunch time on Monday.  I did intend to get started while we were away but time just seemed to slip away.

Monday's poem was 'The Poppy' which came from a new contributor, Lynn Carr who comes from a place I knew very well as a child, South Ockendon in Essex.  Welcome, Lynn, and thank you for choosing to submit your work to 'Poetry24'. Like Little Nell, thoroughly applaud your intention to wrote more poetry and we will look out for you in our inbox.

On Wednesday our poem was 'Death Row Diner' by Janine Booth, a clever and telling sonnet written in response to the opening in Hoxton of a 'death row' themed restaurant. This is something that I find distasteful and quite bizarre. Perhaps I am missing something here.

Thursday's poem, 'Ebola-Virus' was by Fareha Razvi who is, I think I am right in saying, another new contributor. Thank you and welcome, Fareha. Your poem is a timely reminder. It is true, as you say,  there are 'No Guns, No Fire, No Explosions' but still it is 'the innocents' - and the poor - who die first.

Finally, on Friday, we ended the week with another poem about the death of innocence. Regular contributor, Kristina England, gave us her very powerful 'House of Squalor' in which she asks us to consider that:

There must be a reason.
There MUST
be something
that brought her here
a ghost of herself
floating in the headlines
haunting us all.

When I was growing up my family was touched directly by this kind of tragedy which resulted in the loss of one of the sunniest, sweetest infants I have seen in all my life. Her name was Semalie Semal and, had she lived, she might have been a grandmother by now. Such terrible sadness. Keep safe and have a peaceful and productive week. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanx Abi, I am glad to contribute. Hamish and Abi, Poetry24 is awesome!

    ReplyDelete