Monday, 18 August 2014

'Kepler’s Conjecture'


             

Today I took some time


from staring at the stars


and ambled to the market.






Nothing too fancy, mind,


just one of those stack-em-high,


sell-em-cheap brigades






that are all the rage


in Germany. Perhaps attracted


by the colour, I got to thinking






about oranges, how lonely


they look arranged in single-file


and not the most efficient.






So I took out my parchment,


scribbled some calculations


to find the Egyptians were right






all along, and that pyramids rock.


Now I sit and wait for the world


to catch up, four hundred years






and one big computer, to prove


what any self-respecting orange-stacker


could have told you if you asked.
© Maurice Devitt

Maurice is reading for an MA in Poetry Studies at Mater Dei, and has recently been short-listed for the Listowel Writers’ Week Poetry Collection Competition. He is working towards a first collection.  

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I like it. As a callow youth I read Arthur Koestler's "The Sleepwalkers" and knew of all the missed opportunities to realign astronomical discoveries with what was known and lost before. Today it is not the church at fault. Thanks it's given me an idea.

    ReplyDelete