Sunday, 27 July 2014

Sunday Review

We began this week with a very hard-hitting poem on the subject of the lost Malaysian jet MH17.  'Crimson Sleet' by Ra Sh must rank among the most powerful pieces we have seen this year at Poetry24. We are reminded with a force quite proper that:
    'As the flesh rain progressed,
     Heaps of smoldering meat
     Fell everywhere on everyone,'

I think that perhaps we must all bear some responsibility for making sure that the truth about this incident is uncovered. I don't suppose it will happen, though. Too much money and power at stake.

On Tuesday our poem was 'Prisoners'  by our own Hamish Mack. The piece was written in response to the ongoing conflict between Israel and Palestine.  Hamish's poem brings out very strongly both  the human tragedy behind the suffering and the apparent impossibility of bringing the two sides together, While
      'Their leaders talk of
      political gains and
      moral highground
      and the right to
      defend themselves'

the unpalatable truth is that: 
     'only the disappeared
     truly have any freedom'

I know, respect, even care about people who have a passionate belief that right lies on one side of the conflict.  How do I bring these people together? At the moment, anyway, I have no idea.

Wednesday's poem was 'Investigating Invisibility' Sue Norton which struck home with me, As a woman of a certain age - and even as a women not infrequently described as 'striking', whatever that really means - I am accustomed to having to jump up and down and shout to attract attention.  I have been jumping up and down a good bit lately in the course of my battle with the local branch of the French corporation SITA.  I am pleased to say that with the help of the local paper, The West Briton, and a sympathetic councillour, I have their attention now.

'Knowledge @ School' by Sutapa Chaudhuri was our offering on Thursday. This is another hard-hitting power that speaks of the brutal rape of a six year old child by two members of staff at a school in Bangalore. Regular readers will know exactly how I feel about this kind of callous cruelty. Wherever in the world we are and wherever we find it, we must all do what we can keep the issue in the public consciousness.

Our final poem this week was 'MH17' by Cornish-based poet, Mac Dunlop who is making, I believe, his third appearance here and is well on his way to becoming a regular. I simply love the opening image of this piece, Mac, and I wish I had thought of it: 'A tired angel followed me to bed'.

Well, that's all from me. Have a peaceful and productive week, everyone. 

Abigail Wyatt
   

No comments:

Post a Comment