Tuesday, 1 July 2014

'Berlusconi Does Time'

And on the first morning,
as I help her with her breakfast,
I wonder if she recognises me –
she  gives me a strange look.

On the second morning,
while I sort through her laundry,
she says: are you the guy
who used to be on the television?

On the third morning,
she is sleeping soundly.
She looks so peaceful,
I almost envy her.

On the fourth morning,
When I wheel her out into the garden.
She asks me: how come you never
invited me to any of your parties?

On the fifth morning,
I  read her the newspaper:
I’m in it, of course, (a bad photo) -
she gives me that look again.

On the sixth morning,
her teenage granddaughter comes to visit.
I ask her later what age the girl is:
she says she can’t remember.

On the seventh morning,
she smiles and says hello, handsome.
At least they can now say
I did the community some service.
 Maeve O'Sullivan
http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/news/uk-world/berlusconi-in-bunga-bunga-appeal-1.432746

Dubliner Maeve O’Sullivan’s work has been widely published and anthologised for twenty years. Her collections of haiku (Initial Response, 2011and poetry (Vocal Chords, 2014), are from Alba Publishingwww.twitter.com/maeveos

No comments:

Post a Comment