Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Another day, another shooting

It's Saturday so I pour my morning coffee, 
sit to read the news, find myself stunned 
by the unraveling of Isla Vista,
victims injured and brutally killed,
police warned ahead of time,
the shooter making online videos, 
believing himself a superior being, 
some demigod seeking revenge. 
But would a deity feel so unwanted,
so full of a senseless void?

My coffee gets cold as I search for clues
on why this sickness is spreading,
on when it will happen again,
or if there's something we've missed,
something we all can do.

I stop, afraid there is no answer,
afraid of how much is left unknown
in this human and fragile state,
then glance at a photo of my nephew
and me laughing, remind myself
that Spring is here; summer comes soon.
The bloom of life goes on.
 

©Kristina England
 
Kristina England resides in Worcester, Massachusetts.  Her writing is published or forthcoming at Borderlands: Texas Poetry Review, Gargoyle, New Verse News, Poetry24, and other magazines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment