Sunday, 9 February 2014

Sunday Review

This week we began with a very beautiful and very evocative poem which, incidentally, also proved to be among our 'most commented' ever. It was Angela T. Carr's 'At The Library'. On reading this delightful piece, I was immediately taken back to the time when I was twelve years old and an almost daily visitor at my small village library.  I was voracious reader then but, admittedly, not very discerning one since I came from a home where books were a luxury we could seldom afford.  Armed with my parents tickets, I borrowed and read anything and everything that took my fancy: Rupert Brooke, Oscar Wilde, Aldous Huxley, it is true; also, however, 'Jill Has Two Ponies' and anything by Jean Plaidy. It was good to be reminded of such times, Thank you, Angela.

On Tuesday, our poet of the day was Laura Taylor with 'Judging Justin', a poem which exposes the dangers posed to young people especially by our 'celebrity culture'. It isn't a new thing, of course; I think of Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney and others; on the other hand, it seems undeniable that things are getting worse in a world which seems to know the price of everything and the value of not much at all.

On Wednesday it was the turn of David Mellor and his tribute to 'Philip Seymour Hoffman'.  We thank you, David, for marking this loss. We thank, too, Martha Landman for her brief but exquisitely beautiful poem 'Blood Cry'. All I can say about this one is that , if you missed it on Thursday, do click on the link now and make good that omission.

Our final poem this week was 'The Statue of Nelson Mandela' by Pijush Kanti Deb, a response to the story about the small statue of the rabbit hidden in the great man's ear. This was a great story to chose to write about, Pijush Kanti Deb, and we are delighted you sent your poem to us.

Well, that's all from me for this week. Stay safe and do good work.

Abigail Wyatt

No comments:

Post a Comment