Friday, 6 September 2013

How Shalt Thou Kill Me?

(with acknowledgement to Elizabeth Barrett Browning)

How shalt thou kill me? Let me count the ways.
Kick me and strike me and leave me for dead,
then bomb my brothers asleep in their bed.
Shoot at protestors – live bullets are best,
no matter their unarmed (your soldiers confessed).
Kidnap, torture, genitals mutilate –
no level too low in your campaign of hate.
Bind me, commit me to blasphemous praise.
Burn and destroy – hang my head from a line.
Strangle and shake me and force my last breath.
Napalm’s not chemicals? Thus it is fine?
Try me unfairly, condemn me to death.
Kill tens of thousands – beware the red line –
No Chemical Warfare! RESPECT the U.S.

© Carolyn Cornthwaite

Obama warns Syria chemical weapons use may spark US action

Syria: Defectors Describe Orders to Shoot Unarmed Protesters

Teenage victim becomes a symbol for Syria's revolution

Carolyn writes poetry and fiction and blogs at http://wimpywriter.com/. She has just finished the first draft of a novel and is slowly recovering. Next time she will write an uplifting tale with a joyous ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment