Monday, 26 August 2013

Me and My Shadow

When I was kidnapped
it wasn’t me they rescued
but you, and gifted,
with my pointy ears,
you became me.
Welcomed home
by parents
you had never seen,
to toys
that were never yours,
you  learnt
to live my life.
While I
slipped through
the wardrobe of time
to a place
where no-one knew
my proper name
and chores were done
by someone else.
Still, all was well
until today
when, losing faith
in family photos,
you checked your DNA
to find
that you were never me
and I was waiting in the wings
to start it all again.

© Maurice Devitt

Boy snatched in 1964 returned to wrong family

A graduate of the Poetry Studies MA at Mater Dei in Dublin I was recently short-listed for the Doire Press Chapbook Competition. During 2012 I was nominated for a Pushcart Prize, was runner-up in the Cork Literary Review Manuscript Competition and short-listed for the Listowel Writers’ Week Poetry Collection Competition. Over the past two years I have had about 60 poems accepted by various journals in Ireland, England, Scotland, the US, Australia and Mexico. I am a member of the Hibernian Writers’ Group.

*Poetry24 begs to be forgiven for having inadvertently posted an incorrect version of the above poem. The correct version will now remain until Wednesday morning. AW



2 comments:

  1. You've given that lost child a voice in a very moving and powerful way. What a terrible situation for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very moving poem, Maurice - I like the way you have hand'ed the story - as Little Nell says giving the lost child the chance to speak.

    ReplyDelete