Friday, 3 May 2013

Empty Vessel

I saw the golden halo of your
long, curled tresses.
And I gazed into your
sprightly soul.
Joy and exuberance,
bursting forth.
And I had to taste.
And see.
What I could no longer feel.

You think it makes me feel complete?
Accomplished?
Instead, look upon my haunted eyes.
Your joie de vivre will never be mine.
And I may bury those
yellow curls among earwig,
nit and maggot.
But n’er will I see, nor will I feel,
childlike innocence again.

I have murdered it out.
For you. For me. For humanity.

© Mari Maxwell

Trial of former lifeguard accused of murdering April Jones may last for seven weeks

Mari's work has appeared in several online and print publications and anthologies in the USA and Ireland. Among them: Crannog, Haiku J, Daily Bites of Flesh 2011: 365 Days of Horrifying Flash Fiction, Beyond the Diaper Bag, Coping, and Barbie Bazaar magazines and others.

8 comments:

  1. Wow Mari, wonderful poem, wrapping you up in one huge hug dear :) Maire XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mari this is just such a powerful piece. It left me with a lump in my throat. It is just incomprehensible to me how there can be such evil in this world :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very haunting piece, you skillfully weave beautiful imagery of April with the gaping emptiness of her murderer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a million Carolyn. April's beauty, innocence and vitality haunts me as does his emptiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a million Maire and Maeve! It just hit so close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, Mari - I love how you hammered it home (and nailed it) in those last two lines.

    marion

    ReplyDelete