Saturday, 16 March 2013

Pope

Abrakedabra !
and a plume
of white smoke,
Habemus Papam.
We have a Pope!

Through crimson
curtains he emerges.
Immaculate.
Cassock and cape
like fresh snow.

The conclave
gushes behind.
All blood red
and sanguine.
They are umbilical

Connecting me to my grandmother –
who polished her front step
with a tin of Cardinal Red
reciting her forty-day-prayer,
in rhythm with the bristles of her brush -
her incantation
a crucifix of indentation -
up and down,
side to side,
going nowhere.
The end result gleamed but was slippery
like dripping.

Do you know the pope
wears red shoes ?
I do – for the blood of the martyrs
or maybe as a mark
of the elite.
Do you know he wears
a fisherman’s ring?
I do – for St. Peter who cast
his net into the sea,
or maybe to dress his hand
with gold and diamonds.
Do you know he gives out a Plenary
Indulgence on special occasions?
I do.

And then to my surprise the pope raised his hand
And drew the world to his palm
And I remained there.

©Clodagh Beresford Dunne

Francis celebrates Sistine Chapel Mass

Clodagh Beresford Dunne lives in Waterford. She writes poetry, plays and short fiction. She is the recipient of a number of awards and her poems have appeared in The Stinging Fly, The Moth and Southword - she is presently compiling her first collection of poetry. 


7 comments:

  1. This really helped me see through other eyes. I don't get it, but I get this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. Best poem ever , looking forward your next poems :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very flattering ! - thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Very nice variation in verse
    Well done Clodagh
    I'd say like Isbassen I won't be
    joining you in his palm any time soon
    (I might reconsider if they shared their great wealth with the poor)
    But I admire the way you put this together NL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow such passion. really inspirational. Have you any other pieces, I would love to read them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. There is another of my poems currently online - you can look at the Southword Journal and in some back issues of The Stinging Fly and the Moth. I'm currently working on a first collection so am really pleased you like this for a start. C

      Delete