Friday, 8 February 2013

Locked In

It is not until I see it on my own TV
that I perceive that we are all like him,
poor prisoners of our grief and pain
who blink at this unheeding world
and cannot bear to contemplate
that this is all there is.
He is plump and pale, yet full of fight,
and young as I am old;
too young to know he makes the news
to sound that bell of hope
that threatens those 
who lack the means 
and strength to make their case.
Their lives are led: 
a brief age past,
they would be left for dead.
So look not to find mercy
where is capital our king
and our greed becomes our coffin
since, by it, we're all 
locked in.

Abigail lives in Redruth in Cornwall where she writes poetry and short fiction and does her best to remain positive.  Her new blog is at abigailelizabethwyatt.wordpress.com. She can also be found on Facebook.
 

4 comments:

  1. 'our greed becomes our coffin'

    Excellent line - well done!

    David Subacchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, David. I have just returned home after a long shift at the cafe and your comment has made my feet hurt less. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Abigail – I find your analogy offensive.

    As a nurse who has cared for someone with locked-in syndrome I can assure you that we are certainly not “all like him.”

    Think Tony Nicklinson.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I aim very sorry that you found this offensive. The analogy was not one I made lightly and there was no intent to in any way diminish the suffering of those afflicted with this condition. On the other hand, it is one of my gravest fears that we are now living in a culture in which political and commercial forces over which we have little or no control deliberately seek to isolate us and prevent us from being in communication with our own needs, much less the needs of other people and, most particularly, those who for reasons of age or ill health are the most vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete