Saturday, 15 December 2012

Stargazer


In the black and white TV days
He seemed a jolly kind of toff
But that’s what scientists were like
It went with the territory
The monocle was impressive
Especially when it fell out

School taught me to name the planets
The difference between sun and moon
And that Earth revolves on its axis
But that’s all I can remember
He was much more informative
Maybe this could be exciting

Even dad looked interested
His hand raised to command silence
When the great man’s head appeared
Speaking of meteors and stars
As we sat by the coal fire
Imagining a comet’s heat

Later despite the cold bedroom
I would leave the curtains open
Trying hard to read the night sky
But lost without my expert guide
Until slumber overcame me
And the heavens faded away.

© David Subacchi.2012


David Subacchi’s first English language collection ‘First Cut’ was published by Cestrian Press earlier this year. 

8 comments:

  1. Is the title supposed to be ironic? He was an astronomer, not a charlatan of fortune telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was intrigued by the title, David. Do tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry everyone the title should be STARGAZER !!
    Shome mishtake here!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have sent a message to Poetry24 asking them to correct the title to STARGAZER - my fault entirely for sending off the wrong version! It's never easy! :)

    David Subacchi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a great poem david, I love it.
      From Maureen Weldon

      Delete
  5. Oops. I noticed this, of course, but, not being a great fan of Sir Patrick's politics myself, I thought it was an intended irony. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only ! (blush!)

      David Subacchi

      Delete