Sunday, 18 November 2012

Sunday Review + AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

This week has been full of poems that were the opposite of what they first seemed, providing ripples of light and darkness: Last Tree Standing by Nicollette Foreman, was more about all those British ash trees about to fall. In Like Carrion Crows, Maureen Weldon referred to the (now) dead who picked on the living. A different side of the same news was Abigail Wyatt's The Comedy of High Places - not really a comedy at all. More ripples in Amy Barry's  Shadows on the Irish Sea which stretched from the other side of the world: a sense of being marooned, / so thick, it clotted, / choked his breathing. Darkest of all, Wendy Nicholson's Light up the lamps as the violence that has plagued Israel and Palestine for decades erupts again, with innocent lives lost on both sides:  so comes the dark and pain / to all again – and yet again / with no one spared. Even the humour was dark - with Philip Challinor pitched in with Political Police on the election where nobody bothered to vote.

On that cheery note, so to our announcement. First, this from Martin:

"As from this week, my editorial involvement at Poetry24 will come to an end, although I will continue to help maintain its Facebook presence for a while. I've taken this difficult decision so that I can free up some time and space, allowing me to explore and develop my own writing. 

So, a few words of heartfelt thanks. Firstly to Clare, for her huge contribution in helping to develop Poetry24. Without her insight and talent, I doubt whether we would have made it this far. Secondly, thanks to you, for your continued support and, of course, your quality poems.

Best wishes to everyone, and thanks again!

Martin

And this from Clare: 

"I will always be grateful to Martin for inviting me to share this project and am proud to have been a part of it. This hasn't been an easy decision for either of us, but I, too, have other ambitions and commitments and feel my time at Poetry24 has also run its course. 

Thanks to Martin's vision and the support of so many fantastic poets from around the world, I think that together we've all created something unique. Thank you all for being part of that.

Clare

Is this the end of Poetry24?  Not necessarily. We are happy to see Poetry24 continue with new editor(s) at the helm. If anyone out there would like to make this their project we would be happy to hear expressions of interest, answer questions and share our experience, so please get in touch if you're interested: poetry24@hotmail.com  

With this in mind, we plan to make it to (nearly) the end of the year, with submissions still accepted up to 14th December.

Have a great week

Clare and Martin

51 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this! Good luck with future literary endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin!

    Your decision to pursue your writing goals is understandable
    and respected. Best wishes to you. I will say, however, that you will be missed. We will continue our photograhic cloud-talk in Facebook, I hope!

    Kay Weeks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay. Yes, I'll still be floating around on FB, in the clouds, most likely!

      Delete
  3. Thank you both for the brilliant job you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both should be proud of what you've achieved! I only wish I could have taken part more. Enjoy your newfound time to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are! And we're delighted you have taken part at all! 8-)

      Delete
  5. I'm genuinely saddened to hear this. I've always looked forward to my poetry fix before toddling off to work! Having said that I completely empathise with both Clare and Martin in the decisions they've made, and thank them for the opportunities they've provided for everyone whose been published and/or enjoyed reading the contributions. Co-hosting two venues a month, as I do, is a big commitment so goodness knows how you've coped with the daily demands of a current affairs blog! It would be great if someone could step up and take the admin on. Here's hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I was thinking about a Poetry24-type gig at next year's festival. Live 'News in Poetry' - what do you think? x

      Delete
    2. Hi Clare, I think that's an excelent idea. I'm certainly up for it. Liam is chairing the poetry next year and has a good strong committee with him, I'm sure they'll take it on. I'm quite happy for you to tell them I support the idea if you decide to take it forward. Dave

      Delete
  6. Thanks to you both for what you have achieved. Thanks also for the very courteous and prompt way you have dealt with submissions. Like others I am really sorry you are both stepping down.

    I do hope others take over the excellent work you have started.

    With very best wishes,

    David Subacchi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David - I think we've broken some records in terms of speed of response, but it takes its toll! ;-) x

      Delete
    2. P.s. I should have added - thanks for being such a regular contributor!

      Delete
  7. Thank you both and the best of luck with your future projects. I do hope that Poetry 24 continues, though, because it is too important in so many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh... I'm gonna pack my bags because I'm going on a guilt trip! Thanks for all your support Abi x

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your vision and commitment to the project, and to poetry. Will spread the news about the empty editorial reins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very sad to hear both of you are leaving Poetry 24. You have done an amazing job bringing poets together from all around the world. Your website has given me both inspiration and confidence. I sincerely hope this is not the end of Poetry 24.
    Thank you for your unique work and best of luck with your future endeavors.
    Vala Hafstad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vala - delighted to hear you've got something from this. I hope it isn't the end too.

      Delete
  10. That's sad news, though I imagine it's the kind of project that really eats into your own time, especially keeping a daily blog like this under control. Shame - I hope someone does take up the reins, even if only so that I can carry on writing poems about the stupidest news items ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let us stop you Fran! Yours is my favourite blog and one of the few I manage to visit! 8-D

      Delete
    2. Woo hoo! Just read this comment. You've cheered up my day.

      Delete
  11. Sad news, but well All the best to you both!
    Enjoy Poetry 24 very much, reading & contributing.

    You both will be missed, Martin & Clare...:)


    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  12. :( oh my! Much like poets even editors are equally important! I will miss both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We've been missing you lately too!

      Delete
  13. Thank you both for providing this platform and for welcoming me in. I do know the kind of commitment such an undertaking involves and so I understand and respect your decisions. Best of luck to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark - seems like a lot of poems under the bridge since yours started us off back in February 2011. I might not have got involved if I'd thought the whole thing through - but I'm glad I did! Cheers

      Delete
  14. Martin & Clare, you deserve praise and high-fives for the efforts you have made on behalf of poets and poetry lovers across the globe. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you ever so much for Poetry 24.

    “May the road rise up to meet you, the wind always be at your back, and the sun shine warm upon your face!”

    Good luck and Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anthony. I hope you don't mean 'fall flat on our faces' (and with a serious case of wind!) ;-)

      Delete
  16. You've done a wonderful job Martin but I can understand that it must take up a lot of your time. Well done and the best for the future. Here's to Clare keeping on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think long and hard, Gabrielle, but I don't think I can do it AND get done other stuff I want to do, AND work, AND write. 8-/

      Delete
  17. So sorry to hear this...thanks for championing the novel concept of 'news-muse' and best of luck to both of you for your future pursuits.

    Sutanuka

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Martin and Clare,
    Sad news but well done on creating this valuable site and thank you for all your generous support. I hope the poetry project will continue and that whoever takes up the challenge will be as professional, courteous and witty as you both!
    best,
    Helena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely of you to say so, Helena. *blushes*

      Delete
  19. And I only just found you :-(
    but I can understand this must take up so much time.
    All the best for the future
    Nicollette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! But you snuck a few in, didn't you? All the best to you, too

      Delete
  20. Thanks for all the work you have put into the project, Martin. I understand that need to separate one's self from something and move on to personal-development.

    All the best to you, and to Poetry24!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So farewell then Poetry24
    "We are light on submissions"
    That was your
    Catch phrase!

    E J Thribb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And WHOSE fault was that? *shakes fist*

      Delete
  22. I completely understand having to prioritize... but I'm still sad. Best of luck as you both continue on with your writing and hopefully Poetry24 will also carry on. Thanks for your hard work and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding ... and we've had some interest in carrying it forward, so watch this space!

      Delete
  23. Good luck with your writing. Thank you for creating and doing such a great job with Poetry24.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry to hear this Martin and Claire, but it's entiterly understandable. Best of luck with your writing an let's hope Poetry 24 can still be the place where News is the Muse!

    ReplyDelete