Wednesday, 3 October 2012

A rubbish choice for a hat

I needed a hat as my old one was fraying and tatty.
I went in a shop.  They said, ‘Sir, we’ve a new one outside.
Just step out the door and you’ll see it right there on the pavement.
The latest design, it is one you can wear with much pride.’
I asked, ‘Can I try it?’  They said, ‘Sir, our aim is to please you
and we’re sure it will look really wonderful on you, it’s true!
It’s not like a normal hat.  Just bend down here.  Put your head in.
Oh yes, what a fit!  It’s so snug, as if made just for you!’
I put the hat on and then wondered, from inside the headgear
whether hats that you couldn’t take off were a new current fashion,
because, try as I might, I could not free myself from its ‘snugness’
and was further upset, too, to find that it had lots of trash in.
        I heard them all laughing as I shouted ‘Help!’ from within
        the worst kind of hat that my poor head had ever bin in.

© Fran Hill

Man freed after getting his head stuck in bin in Aberdeen

Fran lives in the West Midlands (UK). She teaches English in a local secondary school, writes, performs, blogs, tweets and tries to resist chocolate. 

7 comments:

  1. Bin there, done that! A very funny response to a rather quirky news item Fran. One assumes he was trying to retrieve something he had mistakenly discarded. Well, let us pretend this was so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed! Very refreshing. : )
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Nell - Goodness knows what he was doing in there. But it's given us all a good laugh, poor chap, at his expense.

    Thanks, Caroline, for reading, and for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the fashion / trash in rhyme! And the 'bin in' pun at the end

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Peter. Terrible puns. But fun puns!

    ReplyDelete