Friday, 13 April 2012

Alzheimer’s Allegory

There is a girl I used to know
She had many ways of hurting you and so
I packed my bags and left her
Though she swore I’d never go
There is a girl I used to know.

There is a town I used to love
It once contained most everything
My dreams consisted of
My babies in the basement
As the traffic trawled above
There is a town I used to love.

There is a bar I used to go
I sometimes still look in
There may be somebody I know
It’s where ‘old kings of comedy’
Mend their tattered souls
There’s a bar I used to go.

Why I’m ill I just don’t know
Just simply leave me on my own
I’ll find a friend from long ago
And ask them where my life has gone
Someone with a soul, to see
An old man sitting at a bar alone

There is this joke I used to tell
A man is granted three good wishes
He wastes them – yes that rings a bell
And ends up broke and washing dishes
I am that joke I used to tell

There is that guy I used to know
He once had everything
But that was a million mistakes ago
And now he sits here drinking
With a tale that starts, like so:
‘There is a girl I used to know’.

© Ralph Killey

Alzheimer’s Brain Scan Test Gets FDA Approval

'Dementia champions' start work across Scotland


Ralph Killey worked on the Liverpool Echo for thirty years and became part owner of World Group Newspapers, Lancashire. He has a collection entitled: 'When there's Notin' on the Tele'.

3 comments:

  1. As I age there seems to be less time to do the things I used to do. I can almost count the brain cells dying one by one. And when I go to put the milk in a cupboard instead of the fridge I have to remind myself that I've always been doing such things. Nobody knows what's round the corner but instant recall is no longer one of my qualities. I love a poem that takes you back to the beginning. Well executed Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a million mistakes ago" rings a bell too!
    Come back Ralph Killey, there is never anything on the tele these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Whiskey Remorse" by Del Amitri
    written by Justin Currie, released 1996
    (UK CDS "Be My Downfall" AMCD884)

    There is a girl I used to know
    She had a hundred ways of hurting you and so
    I packed my bags and left her as she watched some TV show
    There is a girl I used to know

    There is a town I used to love
    It once contained most everything I ever dared dream of
    My baby in the basement as the traffic trolled above
    There is a town I used to love

    There is a bar I used to know
    I still sometimes drop by when I have no place else to go
    It's where the kings of comedy compare their tattered souls
    There is a bar I used to know

    So buy me one more drink before you go
    Or lend me a twenty and I'll get drunk on my own
    You always find some company come in to use the phone
    Someone who can't stand to see a friend go home alone

    There is a joke I used to tell
    Some guy who gets three wishes ends up wasting them to hell
    And in the end in misery he tells the joke himself

    There is a guy I used to know
    He once had everything that any man could hold
    And now he sits here drinking with a tale that always goes
    There is a girl I used to know...


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPABunbH3NQ

    ReplyDelete