Thursday, 1 March 2012

The kitchen lads

The kitchen lads had eyes as wide as skies
The day I said what I was going to do.
They said, ‘In front of international eyes?
With all the nation’s cameras turned on you?’
They didn’t seem to see: that was the point
Of planning to spill beer down Merkel’s back;
Of making it seem just a newbie’s gaffe.
Pff.  What did I care if I got the sack?
I’d always be ‘The one who spilled the ale’.
I’d have a scrapbook stuffed with every pic.
They’d know me on the street.  They’d point.  And stare.
And get out all their camera phones and click.
               
The kitchen lads had eyes as wide as skies
The day I planned the Merkel beer surprise.

© Fran Hill

German Chancellor gets drenched in beer
--------------------------------------------------
Fran lives in the West Midlands (UK). She teaches English in a local secondary school, writes, performs, blogs, tweets and tries to resist chocolate.

5 comments:

  1. I still think it's a waste of a good pint...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giggle. Love it! Isabelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - you daft git. And there was me thinking it was an accident!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve - I don't know that journalists would agree with you. I think they thought that was an easy story!

    hypercryptical - thanks! It's always the silly stories which inspire me.

    Isabelle - thanks. I'm tickled that you giggled. Oops - almost a new poem.

    Annie - I love it when you shell out the compliments. x

    ReplyDelete