Monday, 19 March 2012

Descent

(for Jacob Bronowski)

Only months before he died
I watched Bronowski's bare veiny hands
descend into that familial darkness,
digging deep into the killing ground
of soil and ashes, pasts
remote and more recent,
a stunning act of catharsis
I still appreciate
but do not dare to comprehend.
Thirty years separated him from family,
trauma and pain has remained
an undiminished stain in his time
and in mine
but if time, like death, is a concept
known only to man,
his mind would chart a different ascent
and wish for better worlds to come

© David Francis Barker

Auschwitz-Birkenau, then and now
-------------------------------------------
"I try to paint, write poetry, prose, sometimes music - I guess that makes me an artist." David Francis Barker. You can enjoy more of David's work at his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment