Friday, 6 January 2012

Small World

It's not far to the wheely-bin
Almost full...
The half-eaten turkey
That pork-pie...lurking at the back of the fridge
Long past its eat-by date...
It's not far to the corner-shop
The loaf of bread...the chocolate
To munch while watching the telly
It' s not far to the supermarket
With siren ranks of goodies
Each with its low-fat absolution
It's not far to that little pub
Lovely village...great food...atmosphere
Only an hour down the motorway
It's not far to...Florida...Thailand...Tenerife
Superb hotel...five restaurants...all-day service
It's not far to the dusty, sun-cursed square
Where swollen-bellied babies
Scrabble in the dirt for grains of corn...
Small world!

© Peter Flint

Minister tells us to give more money to charity... 
-------------------------------------------------

Peter is 77, belongs to Rossington Writers' Group, Doncaster and writes short stories and poems  for his grandkids. He taught for forty years...mainly English and says: 'I'm not J.K. Rowling.' 

2 comments:

  1. That is excellent, we take far too much for granted and expect rights we don't necessarily take responsibility for.
    Thank you for the pricking conscience. I hope you don't mind but I have linked my blog to this as your poem fits so well with another artist and a message she is trying to promote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter. Thank you for this one.
    i, too, love writing poetry, and your blog was pointed out to me because I wrote a poem about supermarket - fuelled waste.
    my name is John Ellerton, I live in Bracknell, Berks
    My blog site is Johnell74.wordpress.com
    Thanks for this poem, Peter

    John

    ReplyDelete