Monday, 5 December 2011

Positive Notes

Hello! My name is Michael, girls and boys.
I play with schools as you with siblings' toys:
That is, I carp and criticize, and take
Whatever I'm denied the chance to break.
My promises and answers, when they come,
Rival in truth the ones you give your Mum;
But, boys and girls, please note my latest boast,
Which doubtless is reliable as most:
We're slimming down your schooling, it is true,
In aid of Ashcroft, Philip Green, and you;
But, subject to the weather and my brain,
I more or less think music will remain.
As someone said - the Bible? Mother Gove? -
Melodic stimulus is food of love.
That's why our fast-food chums provide Muzak,
Enhancing your affection for Big Mac.
Be useful, occupy your mouths and hands;
Don't take drugs when you form your little bands;
Work hard, keep out of jail and do not panic:
Play on, and mop the decks of our Titanic.

© Philip Challinor

Music in school: Michael Gove sounds optimistic note

------------------------------------------------------

Weblog: The Curmudgeon - You'll come for the curses. You'll stay for the mudgeonry.
Books: Philip Challinor's Books

2 comments:

  1. Oh music to my ears; this poem encapsulates everything that is wrong in the DofE. I am subject coordinator for art in a state primary.
    My head and I fight tooth and nail to shoehorn it into the curriculum.

    Thankfully I have a head who believes that creativity stimulates literacy.

    But then ConDem's don't like creativity; it encourages thinkers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Michael and his chums have anything against creativity as such; it's just that the proles should have enough to do stacking shelves and fighting wars, so they won't be needing any for a while.

    ReplyDelete