Saturday, 6 August 2011

The Velvet Glove

Sparky's handiwork
dripped from the prongs
of a forklift truck

When they opened up the container
the murder scene
smelled phenomenal

Brett McCarthur gasped -
462 cases
in one fell swoop

When Sparky got the call
he was gut-wrenched
at having to kiss goodbye

to months of hard work,
over a million dollars
and his Velvet Glove

finest shiraz
dropped from a great height
never making the ship

Thankfully he wasn't a man
to operate
without insurance

© Heather Wastie

Australia: Forklift mishap destroys $1m of shiraz wine
------------------------------------------------------------------
Heather Wastie is a British poet, musician, performer & facilitator, born in the Black Country, now living in Worcestershire.

4 comments:

  1. Love this, love the voice and - the murder scene/smelled phenomenal -wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much! I found these words in the news article, though not consecutively. When I saw "the murder scene", this gave me the idea for the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can smell the wine - haha - 'gut wrenching' is an apt description - love your poem, especially the allusion to murder (what's that expression - 'I could murder a drink') :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gabrielle. I like your comment :) The allusion to murder was suggested by part of the article and the words "gut-wrenched" are there too. I love writing poems using words I've found. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete