Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Inconceivably Innocent

"Go, hack a phone!" I never said it,
And to conceive me with such guilt
May cause a nasty bit of wilt
In credulous employees' credit.

The right-hand path: I'll always tread it.
The red-tops' red-top stunna, me!
The Murdochs' holy company:
I'll lead it as I've always led it.

You see, I was just there to edit.
The Guardian may lead the fools on -
I'm innocent as Andy Coulson!
News of the World? I hardly read it.

© Philip Challinor

Rebekah Brooks: 'It's inconceivable I knew of Milly Dowler phone hacking'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Philip blogs at 'The Curmudgeon' - He insists, "You'll come for the curses. You'll stay for the mudgeonry." Philip is the author of a number of books.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, very well put! Catches the cynicism of the 'type' perfectly. These are the very people who would not put up with it if the situation was reversed - far from it, you would never hear the end of it. Instead WE put up with it for decades... Time to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really think cynicism enters into it. They own the Conservative Party, which means they also own most of the opposition who wish nothing better than to emulate the Conservative Party; they're chummy with all the right people in the Metropolitan Police; and they get to put their own spin on much of the information with which voters are presented, without fear of effective contradiction. In short, they are genuinely and literally above any law but that of profit, and they know it. The tone of injured innocence is quite sincere: "But but but - those rules don't apply to me!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. lachlan; (hands over ears) la-la-la-la... too much information!
    I wonder what they will name the replacement tabloid? Phoenix? Lazarus? It will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since it will presumably come out on Sunday, tell a lot of fibs and bash single mothers, they could get away with calling it the Church Times.

    ReplyDelete