Thursday, 21 July 2011

Hacked

I’ve had my heart hacked
by a man I can’t stand.

Initially he was fishing for information:
my likes/dislikes, birthday. My dress size.

Then he’d crash into me (with supposed serendipity) saying
things like ‘Great shoes’ and ‘Your hands are so cute.’

But as he surfed my software, his hardware got involved.
He began editing: messing with my heart strings.

He exported the pain of loved ones I lost
and recycled the fires of my anxieties.

He cut my gut feelings, my sneaking suspicions
about his tall tales and crawly taloned fingernails.

He also downloaded ... created this romance
of idealistic dates. And sex. Kisses.

He deleted my boyfriend - made me love him instead.
Now all that I have is what he saved.

So I’m starting afresh with a brand new heart,
and I’ve installed a firewall. This time I’m guarded.


THE END

© Lynne Stanford

Phone-hacking spotlight falls on Met PR man, Dick Fedorcio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lynne Stanford was born in Perth, Scotland, and her first words were 'Hong Kong'.

7 comments:

  1. Christ, this makes me weep to thing of all the lovers I've mistakenly wooed only to be so arrogant as to leave or make myself unwanted by finally revealing the real me. Now I am only me and have a lovely wife - thankfully she always saw past my gestures to the person that is me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is fabulous. I love this kind of word play. You have certainly come a long way from your first words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An absolutely brilliant piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments - much appreciated.
    Fran: I'm glad you liked the word play. I enjoy experimenting with this style so if anyone has poetical recommendations please do let me know ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your play of words and sensitivities! Really a beautiful work. Hope you enjoy my poem, "Landing," that went up today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. It's rare to read a poem that could only have been written in the past 10 or 20 years, and with all of its technological wordplay this is clearly one of those poems.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Martin and Anonymous - much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete