Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Debit

The last time I looked,
there was no I in debt.
Default isn't anyone's fault.
The I of irony is much more telling:
Where democracy was first wrought
in ancient Athens' crucible,
there's now a furnace for the Euro.
The meltdown that makes Merkel
wish for the Deutschmark,
makes Sarkozy cosy up
to the Franc of his dreams.
But who dares pull the ace
from this temple of cards?
And should America say 'no dice',
then whose turn is it to throw?
It would be to our credit
to put the I back into debt.

© David Francis Barker

Eurozone leaders warned over seriousness of Greek debt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
David Francis Barker: 'I try to paint, write poetry, prose, sometimes music - I guess that makes me an artist.'

3 comments: