Thursday, 23 June 2011

English Blue


Walk with me
into the grey breaking dawn

where that sticking ridge of blue –
an English blue

rolls on into soft distances
and strange dancing names

Stand with me
by those set whispering stones

in a steadfast line –
a sore English line

of rasping pipes and howling socks
mouthing our memory

like a warning to tomorrow
a land forlorn to all but itself

Then help me to bury him
not on some crying strand –

in firm English land
where hallows' calls are grounded

our grief laid open
in the whitening bones of heroes

on this high scoured hill


© David Francis Barker 2011

Arrests at Stonehenge summer solstice celebration
---------------------------------------------------
David Francis Barker: 'I try to paint, write poetry, prose, sometimes music - I guess that makes me an artist.' francisbarkerart.wordpress.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editor's note: Those who witness the sun rise on the longest day, at Stonehenge, often experience an overwhelming sense of being connected to nature by ancient rite. Each year, it seems, more non-pagans are taking an interest in pagan beliefs.

3 comments:

  1. Let's cheer for Stonehenge, Summer Solstice and England. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's evocative. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete