Saturday, 23 April 2011

21 April 2011








I watched the food mixer like a hawk today.

It was exchanging slyness with the toaster, I swear

And … was that a wink, flashed at the rice cooker?



I lingered in the kitchen for hours, keeping an eye,

Pretending to sort tins, vaguely dusting shelves

With a homely red checked teatowel - the only safe thing in there.



I daredn’t make tea. That would mean turning the kettle on

And giving it a voice, turning on its red eye.

I swigged lemonade from a bottle with little fizz, but no danger.



At five minutes to midnight, my shoulders breathed again

And I risked the microwave to heat up milk.

When it beeped, my mouth went like dust. I turned slowly



But it was just saying, ‘Your milk is ready.’ Friendly, like. Benign,

I think.


© Fran Hill


The date 21 April 2011 has been prophesied in the Terminator series as Judgement Day

----------------------------------------------------

Fran lives in the West Midlands (UK). She teaches English in a local secondary school, writes, performs, blogs, tweets and tries to resist chocolate. www.ilurveenglish.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. Computer crashed today. Surveyed the wreck,
    And thought I heard it mutter: "I'll be beck!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good one, though could anyone really be sure that the "homely red checked teatowel" was safe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep my eye on everything that beeps
    Cause a man is known by the stuff he keeps that beeps.
    beep...beep...beep. Nice one, Fran!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll never feel comfortable in my kitchen again...

    (Should I have a rice cooker? I feel deprived.)

    ReplyDelete