Sunday, 6 March 2011

Topical At The Time: You Can Call Me Dave



Performed by Elvis McGonagall at the Gilded Balloon press launch at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2009.

We asked Elvis to tell us a bit more about his poem. This is what he said:

"The poem was written around the time Cameron was elected Tory leader and had made a speech to the party conference that the media were wetting themselves over. I think he said "Change, optimism, hope" in an interview. I just thought - oh for f**k's sake I've heard all this before. Empty soundbites in classical tricola.

I still use it in my live sets - people seem to find it funny.

As for writing topical stuff - well I guess it's better than venting one's spleen via a bottle of gin and a blunderbuss aimed at the purveyors of cant and hypocrisy."

Learn more about Elvis, HERE

1 comment:

  1. Bwahahahaha - hilarious stuff! The perennial soundbite to gag on.

    ReplyDelete